Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Breast Cancer Bricks

Breast cancer or cancer in general, seems to know no boundaries. I found out about an organization that helps raise money for Breast Cancer agencies. They raise money by having an auction of bricks. They are known as Bricks Along the Journey. Click here for their story. Every year they call on artists to submit a brick that shows creativity, originality and artistic talent. So I decided this would be fun to do and would help a worthwhile cause. I picked up my brick, (yes they even supply the brick) and thought about what my design would be. I had a few ideas but finally settled on a house. A house?? Well, in almost every house, there is someone who has been touched by cancer of some sort. A friend, a family member, a co-worker. So, that's why I chose a house.
A very dear friend of mine died of breast cancer a few years ago. What a trooper she was. She fought for 8 long years and to see her you would never know she had breast cancer. So, Helen, this brick is for you, my dear friend.

I turned my brick in this morning just under the wire, as this was due in yesterday. A very good friend of mine, and an artist to boot, Angie, also submitted a brick and talk about art. Her entry should win a prize. My brick looks so primitive in comparison. Click here to see her brick. I actually had the opportunity to see Angie's brick, up close and personal. Believe me when I say the pic of her brick just doesn't do it justice.

These bricks will be auctioned off at at the 9th Annual Breast Cancer Brick Auction, Sunday October 10, 2p.m. - 5 p.m. at the Cintas Center on Xavier Univ. in Cincinnati, Ohio. This is a wonderful cause and I plan on attending the auction, so you know I will be taking pictures and posting them here on the blog.

Well that is it for now, thanks for stopping by, see you soon,

Barbara

3 comments:

Hopemore Studio said...

Barb your brick is darling, I really think your inspiration story is perfect.

Thank you for the kind words about mine, I am pleased with it, but I'm more pleased to have it done and on it's way to help the cause.

Talk to you soon,
Angie

Donna Ellis said...

Kudos on the Brick! It's a darling idea, especially with the shingles on the roof! Good Luck!

Rosie said...

What a great idea. I am so glad you participated. I love your house and especially the detail on the door! How you do ALL that you do, is amazing!