Sunday, February 21, 2010

....a poem as lovely as a tree (pt 2)

Friday I mentioned I had another card to post and show how it was made. It is a tree and I used the tree stamp from Great Impressions but in a different way. Most of the items I used will probably be in your stash. The tool called Inscriblio you may not have. It engraves and for the life of me I can't remember why I originally bought it. But I just had to have it. And then it sat unused for years. Then along came Spellbinder dies and I decided to engrave the set number on the back of the dies. I decided doing that would keep the correct die with its right family. 


Not too long ago, I saw a technique that called for acrylic sheets and an engraver and I immediately thought of the Inscriblio. So I brought it out and tried the technique out and I fell in love with the look. So I thought you might like it as well. This group of pic's just shows how to get the image onto the acrylic sheet. So here is the finished card:


Tree 002
Here are the products/tools I used:


101_1286
Stamp - Great Impressions, adirondack acrylic paint - lettuce, Adirondack paint dabber -  pitch black, acrylic sheet - 10 mil, Inscriblio - EK Success.


First position the acrylic sheet over the stamp image and engrave the acrylic using the image as your guide. When complete your image should look like the index of the stamp.(Sorry for the glare on the etched image)


101_1272   101_1274


Next, apply the pitch black onto the etched image, and then rub off with a paper towel. Don't wait to long, you want the black paint to still be wet as you are wiping it off. After you have wiped off the paint, you will be left with an etched image of the tree with black paint in it. Looks great doesn't it!! Just like the stamp.


101_1276   101_1277  101_1278  101_1279



Next  turn the acrylic sheet over, you will be applying the lettuce colored acrylic paint on the non etched side of the acrylic sheet. I used a swirl motion to apply the acrylic paint and the thin tipped nozzle makes it easy to achieve the swirly look. Cover the whole tree area where the leaves would normally be.


101_1282  101_1280  101_1281


Now set it aside to dry completely, about 30 minutes.


After it is dry you will want to trim your acrylic sheet down to the size needed for your project.


When I finished and prepared the sheet for my card,I actually used the side that shows the etched side up.This lets the tree trunk and branches show more, but the other side is nice as well. You be the judge.


101_1285 This is the completed image with the etched side down.



101_1284 This is the other side. The etched side up, I preferred this side but you may like the other side up better.


This is how I made the tree using an etching tool and some paints on acrylic sheets. Easy and fun to do.
 
 Well that is it for now, thanks for stopping by, see you soon.


Barbara
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



1 comment:

Hopemore Studio said...

Barb!! I found you..hehehe.

Thank for doing lunch and sharing all your goodies!

Angie